How do you become a Christ-follower? Chances are you're already going in the right direction. Just asking the questions means you're looking for God, and God certainly is looking for you! Think of it not so much as learning or doing or saying something, but much more in terms of surrendering. This is the way we think about it.
The 7 Surrenders of the Christian Life
- Surrender to the idea that life is about something vastly more than yourself. (Most people never even get to this stage!)
- Surrender to God and God’s activity in your life as the source of that “something.”
- Surrender to the fact that you and your efforts are insufficient to make your life what it was created to be
- Surrender to the reality that you have either rejected God’s love, or simply lived unaware or unaffected by it. (You have in some important way missed the mark, what is literally called "sin."). In this surrender, you realize that you need to come to think (to perceive, see, and understand) in a different way. This is what Jesus called “Repentance.”
- Surrender to Jesus as your model for how to walk this journey, knowing that his journey will be a model for your own. This includes not only his death, but his birth, his life, his baptism, his values and priorities, his teachings, and the promise of resurrection into new life.
- Surrender to truth. God is truth, so the journey toward God is a journey out of every kind of falsehood and into every kind of truth.
- Surrender to love. As you move forward, everything (meaning “everything”) that does not come from love is going to have to go. That's a good thing. You'll never miss it anyway.